Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Power in Writing.

Writing is a weapon more powerful than a fist." Hurricane Rubin Carter  

Sometimes it's the tough way....the hard road.....the path that seems meaningless that teaches the best lessons. That's the way it was for Rubin Carter. 

Convicted for crimes he didn't commit, Carter spent a lifetime in jail. A champion boxer...he earned the nickname, Hurricane Carter.  But it didn't matter how good he was in the ring....in prison....at his lowest....he learned to fight a better way.....not with his fists.....but with words. 

The words he penned touched a boy who picked up his book....cheap....at a rummage sale. Carter's words turned that boy into a fighter - not in the ring....but in life. He learned to fight for truth and helped win Carter's release.  

A movie was made of Carter. Watching his story unfold is hard. Something inside wants to turn away....to not see his descent into hopelessness. But somehow he learned to put pen to paper and write in a way that sparked something in a boy who read them...He succeeded in igniting hope....faith....and compassion in him.   

It's what I want to do with my writing...inspire...empower.....show how to fight back in ways that make a difference. But sometimes I wonder if what I write is meaningless....a waste of time tapping out all those words. Yet....something inside me feels this crazy urge to keep doing it....to keep writing.....to pen those things that inside....And maybe....just maybe....I can make a difference in even one life....like Carter did for that boy.

16 comments:

Shelley said...

Great post! You rock! Love your words! :) You're changing lives! <3

Just Be Real said...

Nikki, thank you for sharing your encouraging words to me on my most recent post. Appreciate you. Blessings and hugs.

Sheila Deeth said...

Keep following that urge and making that difference. Your ripples spread further than you see.

Mike McBride said...

The best thing about writing online is that you never know who is going to read it and take something away that changes their perspective, or at least brightens their day. Sometimes the reader lets you know, more times than not they probably don't, but as long as they are out there, it's worth the effort! Keep doing what you do!

Vilisi said...

Writing is indeed a powerful tool!

Paula said...

You are a fighter and you do not fight for you alone. Each and every word might touch a life and turn it around

Pam Williams said...

This is a terrific post, Sarah. I would love to use it for the devotional time at our next writers group. Carter's book sounds like a great book for writers to read, too. Thanks for sharing this.
Blessings!
Pam
www.2encourage.blogspot.com

Chatty Crone said...

Writing was a powerful tool for him and it was a powerful tool for his readers and yours is too. sandie

Finding Pam said...

I think your words and your story are compelling. What I like most about your story is how you became the woman you are today. Your struggle, your pain, encourages all that read your blog to have hope and never give up.

Never doubt the power of your own voice. If words are important then this matters.

Thanks for the encoragement about my sister.

Blessings, to you my dear friend.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

You my dear have a gift with words and you are a bright spot in my life.

So...kept it up girl!!!!

God bless and have yourself a fantastic New Year my friend! :o)

Mary Moss said...

Keep writing! You are an inspiration and your words are powerful:-)

Karen said...

Truly inspiring! Happy 2012 to you and your family!

Wanda said...

Happy New Year Nikki! Keep following the leading. I believe that one might never know on his side of heaven just how much influence they have had on others.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki, I am your latest follower. I was recommended to visit your blog by my friend Chatty Crone :) Great writing in here, and I am looking forward to be reading more. Have a nice day!

Eva

Of One Heart said...

You make a world of a difference- to me. I love you, Nikki! You're a hero.

Gaia said...

It's great to be back , so much awe inspiring works to read.