Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Forgiving


"He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass." George Herbert

I knew I had to forgive those who hurt me. If I didn't, I would continue to live in a state of anger and frustration and pain. I didn't want that anymore. I was tired of it so I made a choice to let go of all the harm that was done to me.
It didn't happend all at once. I found out forgiveness is a process. One day, I forgave, the next I took it back, and the day after I released it again. This went on for some time until one day, I was finally able to let it all go.
I found it easier to forgive some people and situations then it was to forgive others. There were days I refused to give in and release the need I felt to be disgusted and upset at what was done to me. But other days, I knew if I didn't let go, that rage would destroy me.
For me, not forgiving was not an option. Harboring the hurt only caused me to live in a state of constant turmoil. I craved peace so I chose the way of forgiveness.
I don't think forgiveness is ever easy when someone has hurt you so bad but I see it as something we do for ourselves first and then for others. It's a way to bring freedom into our own lives.

No comments: